St Michael’s School Sports Premium Funding
PE and Sports Premium - St Michael’s CE Combined School
As outlined by The Department of Education the Primary PE and Sport Funding must be used to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that our school already offers
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £16,000 per year plus an additional £10 per eligible pupil. St Michael’s received £8845 in the academic year of 2016/2017 and will receive £18130 for the academic year of 2017/2018.
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport
See the link for more details
Our vision for PE and School Sports at St Michael’s
Our vision for PE at St Michael’s is to ensure the all-round development of every child and equip them with the necessary skills to enjoy a life-long participation in physical activity. ALL Pupils, regardless of ability, background or gender will be able to access an extensive and balanced PE curriculum enabling them to become confident and able movers, developing their social, physical, cognitive and creative skills alongside their knowledge of the growing importance of a healthy lifestyle within today’s world.
Through the delivery of PE lessons, extra-curricular opportunities, daily physical activity within school and competition , we aim to develop the pupils in four main areas., within which they will be progressed and assessed as they move through the school.
PHYSICAL ME - developing their physical ability in areas such as co-ordination, speed, stamina, strength, spatial awareness and flexibility through a range of activities.
HEALTHY ME- gaining an understanding of how activity affects their body and how PE participation contributes to a healthy and fulfilling lifestyle by encouraging self-motivation to take part in physical activity;
SOCIAL/MORAL ME - understanding the conventions of fair play, honest competition, teamwork and good sporting behaviour as individual participants, team members and spectators, as well as developing personal qualities such as leadership, tolerance and empathy.
COGNITIVE /CREATIVE ME - developing the ability to create their own activities, evaluate and improve performance and gain an understanding of what factors contribute to achieving sporting excellence and an improved performance.
Please see the documents below to see how our sports premium funding has been used previously to improve PE and school sport and the action plan for this year’s funding together with the proposed impact that it will have on pupil development and progress in the future.
Click here for document evidencing the impact of the PE and Sport Premium 2016/17
Click here for 2017/18